Our Mission, Vision & Values
Mission, Vision and Values
To engage our diverse community through creativity, discovery and knowledge.
To enrich, inspire and engage our community by providing innovation, information and a place to learn.
- Learning and Innovation
- Service Excellence
Discover how we are achieving the Library's Mission, Vision and Values in our Strategic Plan and Report to the Community.
On June 24, 2020, the CPL Board endorsed Canadian Urban Libraries Council’s Statement on Race and Social Equity, as an aspirational goal.
The communities of Anmore, Belcarra, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam and Port Moody agree that the Early and Middle Childhood Years (birth to 12 years) are critical in the healthy development and future well-being of children in our communities.
Truth & Reconciliation Calls to Action
We are working to respond to the calls to action from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Report that have particular relevance to libraries.
- Working with local Aboriginal community groups in homework help
- Ensuring culturally, and age-appropriate collections are made available
- Providing culturally appropriate programming, involving parents and elders
- Using the principles and approaches of Community-led librarianship to ensure that community needs are identified, prioritized and met
- Providing culturally appropriate/relevant information literacy workshops
- Ensuring that story times support early childhood education programs for Aboriginal families
- Working with local associations, community groups, and city partners to provide culturally appropriate parenting programs for Aboriginal families
- Providing access to relevant government reports
- Providing space, resources and facilities to enable public dialogue, public/private partnerships and public initiatives for reconciliation
- Introducing core training for all staff to ensure awareness of the inter-generational impact of residential schools and colonization
- Forming staff working group to focus on furthering reconciliation within the Library
- Adopting a formal statement acknowledging the Treaty, unceded and traditional territory on which the library sits
We acknowledge that Coquitlam Public Library provides service on the unceded traditional territory of the Kwikwetlem First Nation, which lies within the shared territories of the Tsleil-Waututh, Katzie, Musqueam, Qayqayt, Squamish and Sto’:lo Nations.